Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Creative Problem Solving

March holidays started full swing with 2 full days at the workshop named "Creative Problem Solving". Learnt quite a few tools that I can use to evoke creativity of pupils.

All along, I have thought creativity is an innate ability, either you have it or not. I associate creative people with arts (e.g. music, art & craft, drama) and they are the ones who appreciate beauty which most mortals may not neccessary identify or share. Well, i must say I have somewhat changed my perceptions.

John Yeo is the lecturer (facilitator) of this workshop. He is inspiring and through applying the tools, he wants us to experience the process of stimulating creativity. I'm actually rather surprised to find that creativity can be evoked step by step, venturing into our untrodden part of the brain to rediscover our limits or rather to realise that there is actually no limits. Something abstract can be led by tools which are  concrete. Hmm..interesting...

Although the links to my daily lessons have yet to be established (declaring that I have just registered into the "incubation"period), I thought some words of wisdom which I have picked up from this workshop can be applied in our lives. John showed us a video clip "Everyday Creativity with Dewitt Jones", some highlighted words taken from the video: "Take different perspectives on things; never be afraid of failure; place yourself in the place with greatest potential, be patient!"

My take away: We are beings with lens, seen or unseen, there are times when we need to change lens to view things. As we change lens (just like in photography, coz Dewitt Jones is a National Geographic photographer), we change perspectives then things would be presented very differently in front of us and consequently our understanding will change, it is that moment when creativity emerges and new ideas bloom. Something to digest over the week....

                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment